One of the top car shows on the West Coast rumbles into Redding for a week of four-wheeled fun that culminates Saturday with a daylong exhibition on the Redding Civic Auditorium grounds.
More than 2,000 cruisers, classics, hot rods, roadsters and more will be on display at the 28th annual Kool April Nites, including a sampling of one-of-a-kind creations inside the Civic.
As always, car fans can get a jump on the action on Friday night, April 28, during the annual cruise from 6:30 to 8 p.m. More than 1,000 cars registered for the show will parade in front of thousands of spectators lined up on the 21/2-mile rectangle formed by Hilltop and Dana Drives, Churn Creek Road and Cypress Avenue.
Admission on Saturday is $10 for adults and free for seniors over 70 and kids12 and under. Presale tickets, for $8, are available at all Napa Auto Parts stores and Raley’s on Lake Boulevard.
A portion of Saturday’s gate receipts will be donated to charities and nonprofit organizations that support north state children. To date, Kool April Nites has awarded more than $900,000 in grants.
Admission includes a chance to marvel at the stunning display of one-of-a-kind cars inside the Civic Auditorium. Most of the cruisers and classics represent an investment of more than $300,000 and hundreds of hours of craftsman-level work.
The Asphalt Cowboys will be serving a pancake breakfast from 7 to 10:30 a.m. Saturday and from 8 to 10:30 a.m. Sunday inside the Civic Auditorium. The cost is $5.
Other highlights include:
- A Parsons Jr. High School spaghetti dinner fundraiser from 6 to 9 p.m. Tuesday inside the Civic with entertainment by Music in Motion. Dinner is $5.
- A Foothill High School tri-tip dinner fundraiser from 6 to 9 p.m. Wednesday inside the Civic with entertainment by the Club Cougar Band. Tickets are $15.
- The Downtown Park & Shine on The Promenade from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thursday.
- Dancing to hits by Decades from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. Thursday inside the Civic. Admission is $10 or free with an all-access wristband.
- The popular Kool Kruise, from 6:30 to 8 p.m. Friday, followed by live music from the Hot Rods Band inside the Civic from 8:30 to 10:30. Admission is $10 or free with an all-access wristband.
- Saturday entertainment inside the tent starts at 9:30 a.m. with Enterprise Starship. The Downtown Band plays from 12:30 to 2:30, followed by Journey’s Edge from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m.
- Fortunate Son, a Creedence Clearwater tribute band, performs from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. Saturday; admission is $10 or free with an all-access wristband.
- Sunday highlights include free admission and a display of more than 100 award-winning cars from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Redding merchants are hosting a number of show-and-shine events during the week, giving people the chance to check out cars that will be part of the big show. For a complete schedule, registration details and ticket information, visit www.koolaprilnites.com.
Photos by Jon Lewis.