The Weight is Over: New Wheels, New Digs, New Heights

A lot’s happened since I last checked in with you. First, the main battery on my 12-year-old Prius died, which basically meant the car was rendered useless. I sold the Prius for $1,000 to a guy who’s going to replace the battery.

The dashboard of death: All over but the shoutin'.

The dashboard of death: All over but the shoutin’.

I suppose I could have dumped about $3,200 into repairing the car so it would last who knows how much longer, but as much as I loved that little car, it came with some baggage, such as the fact that the Prius was the car I bought with my ex-husband.

Besides, one of the things on my bucket list is a little tear-drop trailer for camping, and a Prius can’t haul anything heavier than what a motorcycle might tow.

Also, this was a good time for the Prius to die because this year marks seven years since my divorce.

Not to get too groovy but I have this thing about the number 7, probably because it’s my birth month, but also just because I like it.

So I bit the bullet and bought a 2015 Kia Soul that had – wonder of wonders – 7,000 miles on it. I’ve admired Kia Souls for a few years, and always imagined I’d go for the Alien Green color. But I love my little “Latte” Kia Soul even better.

Goodbye 2005 Prius. Hello 2015 Kia Soul.

Goodbye 2005 Prius. Hello 2015 Kia Soul.

It was kind of an emotional experience for me to buy a car as a single person. Thank goodness, Kent Fiscus (my daughter-in-law’s Uncle Kent), who manages the Kia dealership in Redding, made the process so easy and painless. I knew he was watching out for me, which gave me great relief.

As long as I’m tracking significant sevens, this year marks seven years since I purchased my formerly pink house upon which I spent more than $80,000 and almost seven months to remodel and restore. We’re talking stucco, new wiring, new plumbing, lots of new windows and doors, tile, flooring, texturing, a raised kitchen ceiling, some knocked out walls … and on and on and on.

Doni's formerly pink house needed a lot of work.

Doni’s formerly pink house needed a lot of work.

I never planned to grow old in this house. I always knew I’d want to move up to another house that needed a little work, something that would be an even greater investment for me in a few years, an important consideration here in 2017, the year I turn 61. (Six plus one is seven, you know.)

It’s been six years since the remodel was final, but at some point that “new” remodeling wouldn’t be all that new and shiny anymore. The housing market seems promising, and with summer approaching, my swimming pool will be a real asset.

Basically, my adorable little Garden Tract house would never look more appealing than it does right now.

Realtor Joshua Domke, Doni's son, is squinting to keep the rain from his eyes.

Realtor Joshua Domke, Doni’s son, squints to keep the rain from his eyes.

With that in mind, I called my favorite realtor, son Joshua Domke, and told him I wanted to put my house on the market. I appreciated that he didn’t try to talk me out of it (unlike a few others, mainly because they think my house is so customized and perfect for me that they think I’ll regret leaving).

Yes, I will miss my beautiful kitchen. But I have no doubt I’ll create a cool kitchen in my next home, too.

Doni will miss this kitchen

It’s been a joy to see my son in action in his profession. I’ve known since Josh was about 5 that he’d end up in some kind of sales because of how he’d pick fruit from our orchard and then sell it to neighbors, or how he’d fish out golf balls from Allen’s Golf Course’s little creek and then sell them back to golfers.

I’ve known a lot of realtors, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen one as proactive and engaged in the process as Josh, and I’m not just saying that because I’m his mother. This guy has moved things along at an impressively fast clip. Within four days of telling Josh I wanted to list my house, he’d drawn up the paperwork (signature here and here and here and here and here) put the sign in my lawn, taken photos, made fliers, and held an open house  Saturday that drew more than 60 visitors. (Yes, lots of activity and interest, which I’m not at liberty to share at the moment.)

Josh, who was in the Marine Corps, tackles selling my house as if it’s his most important mission. Works for me.

I posted a Real Living link to my house on FB last week, which resulted in hearing from many people whose messages began with, “OMG! You’re selling your house!”

Where are you going? Why are you moving? You just fixed up your house like you want it! Why would you leave that behind?

I can explain. First, where am I going? In my perfect world I would find another house in the Garden Tract, but this one would have an in-law unit. I’m open to other places, too, but I love the Garden Tract so much that it’s my first choice. Even so, I’m keeping an open mind.

I’m fine with buying a house that needs basic cosmetic spiffing up, but I’m not sure I have it in me – financially or energetically – to tackle a remodeling project as large as the Pink House.

If my house sells before I can find the place I want to buy, then I’ll put a lot of my stuff in storage and rent something small until I find my meant-to-be house.

I truly believe that if I hadn’t gone through this last year of my major health-and-fitness transformation with Matthew R. Lister at Align Private Training, I wouldn’t have had the courage to let go of the Prius to buy a new(ish) car, or let go of the security of my remodeled home to list it for sale.

Doni's little Kia Soul has already logged many hours at Align Private Training's parking lot.

Doni’s little Kia Soul has already logged many hours at Align Private Training’s parking lot.

I feel strong and able physically, and I feel strong and able mentally, too. I’m excited about the future. If life is a high-wire act, there’s no grabbing a new ring and soaring to new heights until I let go of the old ring.

So that’s where I am now: wide awake with joyful anticipation, and reaching as high as I can.

Doni Chamberlain

1. Karen Calanchini says:

Bravo Doni, new you, new vehicle, new home. I have followed you since your son was in the military, loving every word you have written. I love the idea of the teardrop trailer…so you. Happy Trails!

2. Beverly Stafford says:

My message disappeared into the ether; so I’ll try again.  A new Noni Doni thanks to Matthew’s guidance; a new car thanks to Uncle Kent; the formerly pink house on the block and an almost-perfect one on the horizon thanks to son Josh; the new house just waiting for twin Shelly to repurpose your belongings – you’re on a roll and ready to soar!   Seven is a favorite number of mine too because I was born on the seventh.  Looking forward to Doni updates.

• (Sorry your message disappeared. I hate when that happens!) You’re right to acknowledge the guys who helped me in all these different ways. What a great way to learn to let go and get help when/where I needed it most.

🙂

3. How exciting! I’m betting your home will sell in a flash. Wishing you all the best.

4. Kimberly R. says:

The strongest, greatest women I know are ever-evolving themselves and their lives, and that’s you, Daring Doni! I love your example of how we can (and must!) always reinvent ourselves and live life to the fullest. I’ve seen that hot little latte you’ve been driving around — how perfect for new you! 🙂

• Well, that’s high praise coming from you, one of the most strong, smart and bold women I know! “Daring Doni”. I kind of like that name! And “hot latte”! Man, your creative writing is showing. 😉

Thank you for the reminder of the importance to always reinvent ourselves and live life to the fullest. Amen, sister!

Sincerely,

Daring Doni

5. Deb says:

Loving all the positive exciting changes (both achieved already, and yet-to-come)!  Happy house-hunting! x

6. James says:

Good for you Doni, change it up! When it’s a little scary it can be a great feeling to conquer or move through it.  Someone said to me recently “It all works out in the end and if it hasn’t worked out, it is not the end”.

7. Marilyn Traugott says:

Doni, you’re inspiring as always. Thanks, my friend, for sharing your stories of determination, courage and creativity.

8. The butterfly is emerging from its chrysalis and is ready to soar! Bravo and B on Voyage, Doni!

9. Ginny says:

Wishing you a continued wonderful new future, Doni.  In some ways it seems just yesterday you began writing about your “new” pink house.  And, you have accomplished so much since then.

Your big future is still in front of you.  What happened some years ago is long gone and given you a number of good years since!  Losing your bitterness is wonderful to have been part of the past to watch you grow so tall as an individual.  Thanks for the good memories of your growth you  have behind you.

Love and God’s Blessings to your future.

10. Canda Williams says:

Oh goodie!  I know you’ll enjoy a teardrop trailer, and I hope you’ll make Kalispell one of your go-to spots!  So many wonderful adventures ahead of you, Doni.  I love how you’ve taken your life by the horns, and made such positive changes.  By shedding pounds and baggage from “other times”, you’re free to take those wings and fly to your heart’s content.  I can’t wait to see where you end up living.  Congratulations on your car.  It’s beautiful, and so are you! You truly are an inspiration.  I love you and wish you all the best in life. xoxo

• Nothing would give me more joy than to haul a little tear-drop trailer behind my Kia to Kalispell to see you. It’s on my list!

Thank you for the sweet, supportive sentiments, Canda. xod

11. Denise O says:

Seventh year of ala carte living for me too!  Lots of times when I’m feeling blue, it’s due to that – I’m alone and making these big kid decisions.  I’m learning to be where I trust me.

Certainly, I’ve been very very wrong while married to another person, so there’s THAT!

Knowing we will end up on the Vintage Camper Trail sooner than later. ~Admiring Fan From Afar

• Oh, Denise, I didn’t know we shared a singles time line. I love your term – ala carte. Oh, yeah, I can relate to that scary feeling of making decisions without a guy’s input. Maybe I relied too heavily upon it in the past. I don’t know.

I do know that living alone, making these decisions, trusting my gut and myself, has helped me get in touch with a side of myself that I’m not sure I ever knew.

Denise, I would LOVE to join you and your group on the Vintage Trailer Trail! That’s truly way up there on my list. I don’t know why that appeals to me so much, but it does!

I admire you, too! You’re kickin’ it!

12. kerr, david says:

When I move into assisted living, I want to be  living in a small house, good for my guests in walkers or wheelchairs.  All one level, only one step at entrance and into garage.  The step should be the lowest required by code.  Laundry on same level  as main living area.  Grab bar in shower.  Shower easily made wheelchair accessible by s low ramp.

I know a number of people over 80 living alone in a house sized for a family of 3+ kids with treacherous stairs.  I think some are living there because they are attached to the family house.  Some are attached to “stuff” and don’t want to downsize.  When that stroke or hip fracture happens, they will be in a pickle.  Many live more than 20 minutes from a hospital, so their chance of surviving a heart attack is reduced.

• Your future assisted living space sounds ideal. And I think you’re correct that many people stay put in the the wrong home too long, for various reasons. (Mainly, I think, it’s because change is difficult and moving is SO much work!)

13. kerr, david says:

In the last two weeks, there were fatal accidents where trailers came unhitched and collided with oncoming traffic.  One was in Butte county and one Carson city.  Hitching up and chaining up a trailer or dealing with a flat tire on the trailer could be a problem for a small woman.

• Now, now, David, surely not all runaway trailers were caused by women. 😉

Of course I would make sure I knew how to operate and attach my own trailer. (And why do you think the tear-drop appeals to me? It’s tiny and manageable.)

• Carla says:

I have towed a horse trailer (horse included) to Montana all by myself. I’ve towed dump trailers, motorcycle trailers, and the aforementioned horse trailer solo many miles without losing the trailer or killing anyone.

As for flat tires, I travel with a sturdy and easy-to-operate jack…and a AAA card!

You’ll be just fine, Doni. My only suggestion: if you don’t already know how to artfully back up a trailer, find someone to give you a few lessons.

Cheering for you!

• Canda Williams says:

Hi David, I hook up our 25 foot trailer to the GMC Sierra truck and haul it all over the place.  Never underestimate a small woman.  What we lack in size, we make up for in might! 🙂

14. Linda Gutierrez Bayless says:

Doni,

I loved reading your article! You are an inspiration to many women and men! I think you and I have that spark in us that no matter how hard things may get in our life, we do see a light at the end of the tunnel and never give up. You know what you want and you go after it! I am so excited for you in your new adventures! I know we live far away from each other but, I love that we do have media outlets to be able to catch up with each other. When I think of you I always see the sparkle in your eyes and that great smile of yours! I wish you nothing but the best my friend!

• I know you live away from Redding, but it’s so nice to know you’re a regular reader of A News Cafe.com. Thank you, Linda, for the words of encouragement and support. And I wish the same for you!

All the best to you and your sweetie and your life!

15. A. Jacoby says:

Oh David . . . I am SO, SO ready to move into that assisted living you described!!! I m so tired of hot water heaters going out, roofs that need pitching, downspouts that need to be replaced, leaky drip systems . . . etc., etc., etc. And I think I can be VERY happy vicariously enjoying Doni’s “house chronicles” whatever color they turn out to be. Watching this development in Doni’s life is going to kinda be Sunset Magazine in living color!! YEA!!! YOU GO, GIRL!!!

• kerr, david says:

I was describing my dream house to live until assisted living.    Let me add, all new appliances.

• Hey, AJ, you don’t have to live through me vicariously! Sell that adorable house of yours and move to some place like David describes! (I can recommend an awesome realtor. 😉

It could be your birthday gift to yourself. 🙂

16. cheyenne says:

Doni, hook up that teardrop, you’ll need it as hotels are already full, and come to Wyoming for the total eclipse this summer.  A true bucket list must see.

17. Anita says:

I loved my 2011 Kia Soul and after putting nearly 60,000 on it, traded it in for a 2015 one. Have nearly 30,000 on it now. Enjoy!

18. DIANE G says:

Well it sounds like the Prius died to give birth to the Soul.:) It’s exciting to see all the Transformations that have been happening to you. I don’t think they’re over yet and I think the best is yet to come. Happy Journey.

19. R.V. Scheide Jr. says:

Well, thank God you’re not moving out of Shasta County!

20. Yippee! What Joy!! So happy for you!! 🙂

21. Karen C says:

Doni,  do you know Trish Clarke?  Very active person in Redding, also connected to the Frontier Senior Center in Anderson.  She lives alone and travels in an RV.  Every-time she tells of her trips she mentions a traveling companion who goes with her.  Always a good idea for a woman.  Maybe you can call her and she can offer you a lot of tips.  We traveled in a RV for a few years and I know I would not have been able to handle some of the situations we got ourselves into. Everything for learning how and which gas stations you can go in and out of easily to getting ourselves stuck in a cul de sac because we had a tow car behind us. Of course, you will not have that but there are other things to learn. Here is a link to a forum where you can learn more about them.  This is just one of many that I saw on the Internet.  Don’t want to discourage you in anyway, but a little peek into the world of Traveling in an RV, no matter  which size is always a good idea.

• Karen, I do know Trish, and I do see the value in having a traveling buddy. You know what? I looked at your link and ended up reading some discouraging comments about tear-drop trailers. I think I was in love with the idea, without know much about them. But that forum led me to another page, and I’m onto a different trail now, thanks to you! Much appreciated!

22. Linda Castagnoli says:

Amen Doni,

AMEN!!!!!!

23. Steve Steve says:

Wow!  Spring is my favorite time of year because it signifies new life and a freshness for living.  And that’s exactly what you’re doing!  Congrats on the Kia.  I think they’re great.  And man!  I love, love, love, that kitchen.  Whew!  I know you’re going to miss it.  But it sounds like you’re making the most of this magical season and soaking up plenty of inspiration from life.  You’re killin’ it!

24. Joanne Lobeski Snyder says:

Thank you for a great article Doni.  I have only two contributions…..I want to read two books.  One by David Kerr about preparing sensibly for the time when you may have less mobility and energy than you do now.  And want to do more things with your time than clean and cook.  (I picture a community of houses like he described with maybe a communal garden, metal or wood shop and art studio thrown in.)

I learned so much from the transformation of the pink house into the beautiful home it is now.   This piece of your history is a book waiting to be shared.  I avidly followed the details of what was happening with this house, but I wonder if there were boring details you left out that might be of interest to people with the same dream you had.

Again, thank you.  My sister and I have a phrase with use “R’vae”  which is short for “Onward and upward with renewed vigor and enthusiasm!”  R’vae!

• I love your and your sister’s motto! I’ll borrow it.

I’m so happy others could learn from my experiences, whether it’s remodeling a house or transforming a body and eating plan. (Yes, there were some “boring” details I probably waxed over that might be interesting to someone who’s going through the process.)

Thank you, Joanne, for your support and interesting comments.

25. Patty says:

You rock, woman!! Yep…You rock!!!

26. Linda Kevin Corr says:

Doni, we loved your house and were proud to be your first Airbnb guests. Did you continue doing it? We still talk about your innovative kitchen

• Oh my gosh, my first Airbnb guests! So good to hear from you. Well, sadly (and this is another column for another day) I am no longer an Airbnb host. Between the city’s regulations and taxes (it takes 12 percent/ Airbnb takes 3) and the Shasta County Assessor’s Office paperwork (which I still haven’t filled out … pages of tiny questions and boxes and tallying that makes my head spin) … I stopped doing Airbnb in the fall of 2016. I know of other really awesome Airbnb Superhosts who’ve also thrown in the towel, too. It was so much fun while it lasted.

27. kerr, david says:

I am sorry I wasn’t clear.  I was talking about downsizing to a house  to live (hopefully) for twenty years before going into assisted living.   Insurance, property taxes, heating, air conditioning costs are less with less square footage.

My mother tripped on a step carrying a basket of laundry at 85 and broke her humerus.  No steps, no basement for me!

The real payoff for a house all on one level, including laundry, is that one could avoid going into assisted living for several years.

There seems to be no popular name for the housing I am talking about.  Maybe retirement house, senior friendly house, post-kids house.

To change the subject, there are many shade trees which will grow to be an expensive problem.  At best they will  cost around a thousand dollars to remove at maturity.  If they fall on a car or house, tens of thousands.  The wrong tree in the wrong place can kill someone.  A man climbing a ladder to clean leaves from a gutter can fall and break his neck.  Semi-dwarf fruit trees and shade trees are better than the wrong size tree in the wrong place. Pomegranates  and peaches are delicious and don’t put leaves in the gutter.

28. Steve Towers Steve Towers says:

Our experiment with downsizing and city life is over—we’ve moved back to our Palo Cedro place.  One of the draws to moving back to PC is the outbuilding that I finished off as an office.  Working from home without a separate space is a nonstarter for me.  I think you may want to pick the right house/lot and build that office out back if you want to stay in town.

As for small trailers, I have my sights fixed on eventually landing a 16-ft Airstream Bambi.  But Jesus God, they’re pricy.

(R.V. is still crashing BMW motorcycles.  I want a Bambi.  Kind of embarrassing.)

• Yes, I hear you about having a designated office space away from the house. Actually, you hit upon an idea that just dawned upon me a few days ago regarding my goal of finding a house that has an in-law unit: find a house that has enough room on the property to build a tiny house, all permitted and kosher (which can’t be said for many of the homes I’m seeing that have funky unpermitted converted garages and outbuildings, which I’d have to bring up to code when I eventually sell).

Also, while RV’s motorcycle is impressive, we have read about his crashes, which are risky. So, there’s no shame in wanting a 16-foot Airstream Bambi. It sounds lovely. (That’s too big for me and my Kia Soul. Actually, thanks to a comment/link here about tear drop trailers, I’m more interested now in the A-line-style pop-up trailers than the tear-drop, which one person said was like sleeping inside a coffin. Ugh.)

As an aside, if you ever want to share an article about your downsizing experiment, I’d publish it here in a heartbeat. But no pressure, because I have no doubt that you are probably our top commenter, certainly by word count, and also by frequency. Please don’t stop. 🙂 I appreciate you so much!

OK, carry on.

• Hal Johnson Hal Johnson says:

R.V. is still crashing BMW motorcycles.  I want a Bambi.  Kind of embarrassing.”

Har!

You remind me of an irrational fear I’ve developed. I’ve heard from a couple of nearly-reliable sources that more people get killed in the United States each year by deer than by mountain lions, bears, and rattlesnakes combined.

Since then, I just can’t avoid the frequent thought that it would be doggone unmanly to get killed by
      Bambi.

29. kerr, david says:

My ex- sold her tent trailer after about ten years.  She hated backing it up.  I worked with a guy who used to brag that his daughter had mastered backing up trailers.

My ex- now packs her Subaru Forester with an incredible amount of camping stuff and a tent that sets itself up in less than a minute (she says).  She is much happier

30. kerr, david says:

The  couples yelling at each other and  the broken red plastic taillight pieces in the water at Oak Bottom are evidence that backing up a trailer is tricky.  I once saw a car with a hole punched in the rear from a man trying to line up a trailer hitch with the ball.

31. Congratulations on continuing to “locate, lavish and love” the authentically divine YOU!  Change is hard, especially on those around you!  Firmly stand your ground and follow that exquisite inner guidance system you have and enjoy the ride.

I see many women I know and have known for many years (you are on that list) transitioning right now into these amazing Goddesses.  I have been teaching women around the world, mostly in their 30’s & 40’s, and I share with them the glorious tales of my sister/friends coming of age experiences.  We are truly getting better with age and you are a beautiful example of that.

Thank you for sharing your intimate journey with all of us.  It is a privilege and very inspirational.

32. Sally says:

Was surprised to read your initial publishing announcing you were leaving your extraordinary well remodeled “pink house”, but upon reading this segment, you are doing it for sane and happy reasons!  With loving wishes for continued joy and success in finding the perfect new abode!!

33. Karen C says:

You are welcome Doni.  I recall one time when Gene and I were parked somewhere in our monster of an RV, a tear-drop pulled up along side of us.  Out comes a fellow from his car and opened the back end of the tear drop and pulled out his kitchen.  It was cold, wet and windy and he was going to prepare his dinner.  I went over to see his set-up and although very cute, and cozy, it was indeed just a step-up from a tent.  Frankly, I love those all in one truck/camper things.  Forget what they are called, but often thought if my hubby every got rid of our too big RV, I would want one of those.  Mercedes has some very nice ones, and you can pick up good used models.  They are an all in one unit, no towing, no unhooking, and no problems backing up!  I would not want to be standing outside cooking my meal.  At the end of the day, I want to be tucked into my unit, nice and cozy, with the TV on, my sufficient potty near-by, and my crock-pot cooking away.

• Karen, thanks to your input, I have scratched the tear-drop trailer off my bucket list. I’m onto researching new options. (Your description of the guy in the storm trying to make dinner was the last straw for me.)

• Beverly Stafford says:

You may be referring to a Class B motor home which is what I want.  I don’t know why they are so expensive compared to a Class C, but they are on a van or SUV chassis, are extremely compact, and can fit into a regular parking space.  I once asked an RV specialist why Class B’s are so expensive, and he said he had wondered the same thing; so I had no answer.  New, they are in the $80,000 – $100,000 range.  Ouch!

• cheyenne says:

I have owned a class C and now own a trailer and I prefer a C class as hooking and unhooking a trailer gets harder with age.  The class B is more expensive, from what I understand, as it starts as a complete van with much stronger chassis and has to be converted to an RV, extra labor.  The A and C classes come on cutaway chassis that is built on, less labor.  There are also those that say that a class B is more expensive because it can be used as a second vehicle and are more popular.  I doubt that reason as one could buy a class C and buy a cheap used car for a second vehicle with the price difference between a C and a B.

34. Joanne Snyder Joanne Snyder says:

You remind me Doni how much I learn from other people’s “fails”.  No one brags about things that go awry.  Recently, my husband and I experienced an unfortunate home owner’s event based on our ignorance as first time buyers and misinformation by a seller and real estate agent.  I thought my sister was being condescending when she said “I know how you feel”.  I asked her to elaborate, and she told me stories about buying a house in Idaho in the spring with a huge, single pane window with a great view!  She never shared at the time what it was like to keep this house warm in the winter when there was snow on the ground and winds blowing.  Oh, and the little wall heater was right under the window!   I learned so much from friend’s stories of home buying disasters.  We can learn how to do get it right if we listen to people who didn’t.

35. Karen C says:

Beverly, thanks for letting me know what they are called.  Yes, they are pricey.  I have an online friend who purchased one in Bellingham WA for a very good price.  They love it.  Many times you find great deals, when someone passes away and the remaining spouse wants to get rid of it pronto.  Especially, when the spouse dies on a trip and the other cannot or won’t drive the unit.  That would be my unit of choice if I were alone.  We travel with our dog and I want her to be comfortable and safe in the unit when I am away for a few hours.  I love the idea of pulling into a grocery store parking lot and not having to worry about any towing situation, or finding a parking place when we go into a town we want to peruse for a few hours.  We missed out on many opportunities because we could not find a spot to put our 34 ft monster with the tow car in back.

• Beverly Stafford says:

Not having one yet but in thinking about it, I think the only drawback would be that each time you want to leave an RV park where you’re staying for a while, you’d have to unhook all the “utilities” before going exploring then rehooking for the evening.  Probably not a big deal once you’re used to it.

36. Exciting changes, Doni. Sounds like they’ll open doors for you. Congrats! I love your continual willingness to be bold and unconventional.

37. Terry says:

Oh, Doni, I’m so excited for you!  What wonderful changes.  Releasing your car that came with baggage for your new Kia is delightful.  And selling your “post-divorce” home moves you into freedom to find your perfect space.  It’s so timely, too, with your work with Matthew giving you your fit, happy and healthy self.  How exciting and inspiring! Once again, you are a role model of strength and courage.

And I think Josh is exactly right – I’ve just sold my own home to allow me to retire and move to Roseville- and the market is strong right now.

Can’t wait to read about the next chapter!  As you say, onward and upward!