Mistress of the Mix: BANG! BANG! (A Best Of…)

Shooting Gallery

Ever have one of those weeks when you wish you had a do-over?

I’ve just had one of those weeks.

It was one of those weeks where you wish you could just line up every bad interaction, every bad moment, every negative thought, every awkward discussion and every nasty disagreement like ducks in a carnival shooting gallery and hit bullseye after bullseye after bullseye.
Bang! Bang! Bang!

If only that was possible.

Alas, it ain’t. So I’m stuck with that.

We’re not Bill Murray in Groundhog Day, or the incredibly adorable Domnhall Gleeson in About Time (my favorite film of 2014), or Tom Cruise in Edge of Tomorrow (my second favorite film of 2014) . There just aren’t any do-overs in real life to hone our life skills. I wish there were, but we’re pretty much stuck with the day we just lived, every time.

Great. Big. Sigh.

But you know what always makes me feel better?

Music.

When I’ve had a really horrible day; a really rotten, no good, horrible day, there’s one sure fire way to put a smile back on my face and make me forget about all my problems, at least for a little while, and that’s an upbeat song I can sing along to.

finger pistol

Lost your job? Relationship blow up in your face? Total your car? Get a bill for $7,235 more than you thought it was gonna be? Well, I can relate. But you know what? There’s a lot of us who can relate. So I’m hoping that a lot of us also rely on music to help pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and move in an upward trajectory again.

Feel free to share your shitty stories of the week with the Mistress below (maybe it’ll make me feel better?) and then whatever your woes, put ’em aside for a moment. Long enough to hit the play arrow on the Bang Bang Playlist below. Pull out your finger pistols, and dance yourself out of the fast lane of that horrid mindset and onto the good mood expressway. And if you’ve got any songs that pull you out of misery and put you in a better place, let me know what they are. We’ll come up with another playlist of mood-altering songs together.

Valerie Ing
Valerie Ing-Miller has been the Northern California Program Coordinator for Jefferson Public Radio in Redding for 14 years and can often be found serving as Mistress of Ceremonies at the Cascade Theatre. For her, ultimate satisfaction comes from a perfect segue. She and her husband are parents to a couple of college students and a pair of West Highland Terriers, and Valerie can’t imagine life without them or music. The Mistress of the Mix wakes up every day with a song in her head, she sings in the shower and at the top of her lungs in the car.

1. Beverly Stafford says:

You had most of this title in your Lost-your-job paragraph:  Pick Yourself Up, Dust Yourself Off, and Start All Over Again.

• Valerie Ing says:

Brilliant, Beverly! So funny, I think I was actually humming that song when I wrote that paragraph, but somehow couldn’t actually remember the title of the tune. And of course….I was actually starting to type it!

2. Val, I hope your week improves.

My crappy-thing of the week: The battery on my trusty 12-year-old Prius needs replacing. Dealer cost: $3,500. Car value: $3,000.

I’ve wrestled with the right solution. I found a place that could replace the battery for less money, but on the other hand, one of the mechanics I spoke with said that it’s likely that at this car’s age, I’ll be throwing more money at the car for new problems.

Also, for a while I’ve been dreaming of a car that’s big enough to tow a teardrop trailer (I don’t have one, but it’s on my bucket list). A Prius can’t tow anything more than a motorcycle could.

Plus, as much as I love my Prius, it was the car I had during another life and another last name. Maybe it’s time to let it go and move on to another car. (Actually, I’m avoiding driving it, what with all those red and yellow hazard lights on the dashboard. I absolutely won’t drive the grandkids in that car. Yesterday I drove it and the air conditioner stopped working. I can see the end is near.)

I’m considering a new (well, pre-owned) car. I’m open to suggestions about whether to buy or lease. (I love the Kia Soul, fyi.) These kinds of big decisions always throw me, probably because they involve big money, which, you know …

So, there you go. That’s my crappy thing to happen this week. The good news is I live near downtown so I can walk to many places I need to go. Also, I have a twin who’s sweet about giving me rides.

Thanks for having a whining place today. Carry on.

• cheyenne says:

Doni, buy a Dodge Durango.  We bought ours used at Red Bluff Ford, shows how long ago that was, and it is still ticking.  It is roomy enough for garage sale hunting and the occasional trip to Phoenix.  The check engine light comes off and on so it wouldn’t pass smog test but they don’t have smog tests in Wyoming.  It’s air conditioning did stop working in September and I’m hoping all it needs is a recharge but when our record high temperature barely hits 90 I can get by without air.  It has been a very reliable vehicle.

• Beverly Stafford says:

When we bought a small travel trailer – a Casita; small but larger than a teardrop – we needed a larger hauler to replace our too-small Suzuki SUV.  We bought a Honda Pilot.  That was 12 years ago.  The Casita is gone because we bought the Redding house, and that took up a lot of time,  but the Pilot is still running beautifully.  We recently replaced Jim’s 15-year-old Ranger with a Subaru Forester.  It’s a wonderful little car – turns on a dime and gets amazing gas mileage – but I find I frequently turn to the Pilot because of its cargo space.  I just Googled the question:  can a Subaru Forest tow a Teardrop trailer, and the answer is yes.  On a recent 1,000-mile trip, I got as much as 37+ MPG in the Forester.  Your Prius probably does better than that, but I was pleased.

3. hollynchase says:

Three words I never thought would fall from my mouth:

“My cardiologist says . . . “

4. Steve Towers Steve Towers says:

Not trying to one-up anyone, but for me 2017 (so far) can take a flying ***k at a rolling donut.  On multiple fronts, the first quarter of this year has been a bummer.  I’m hoping for a vernal rebound, but the rain outside right now isn’t helping my mood.  The best of my new year: I just found out that my 4-year-old grandson Hatch—God, I love that kid—doesn’t have leukemia, and his anemia is manageable. But it’s a small measure of the Big Suck when the negation of a negative is your biggest positive. “The tree crushed our house, but nobody died.”  Ugh.

Here’s my musical offering:  “Don’t Speak—I Came to Make a Bang!” — Eagles of Death Metal

In keeping with my Gloomy Gus mood, EoDM is the band that was on stage at the Bataclan Theater in Paris when terrorists burst in and killed 90 people, then 40 more elsewhere in Paris.

5. Steve, I’m so happy to hear that little Hatch doesn’t have leukemia. Man. It’s all relative. (You’re right about the negation of a negative …)

Here’s to blue skies for us all.

6. Cheryl says:

The bad news . . . even though I lost my house, the State is sticking me with a $14k tax bill!

The good news . . . it’s only money and the FTB is more than happy to let me make monthly payments for the rest of my life.

The great news . . . some great tunes with a little attitude can get us through another day!

Once again, thank you, Valerie!

7. Joanne Lobeski Snyder says:

I have no idea where this came from, (I grew up without T.V.)  but in the back of my consciousness is a healthy, happy multi-generation family of people for whom nothing ever goes wrong.   The roof never leaks, the appliances are so good they are only replaced by better ones.   (Did I mention my clothes washer died this week?  But after 3 weeks without water because of a water easement issue with a neighbor I’m used to washing clothes in a bucket.)  Where was I?  Oh this perfect, untouched by trouble family.  They don’t exist.

We’re here sharing.  “Trouble shared is trouble halved.”  My thoughts are with you…everyone.  And Val, I sincerely hope your “lost your job” was not part of your bad week.  Thank you for the great play list!

• Valerie Ing says:

Neighbor issues are some of the worst, because you come home to your troubles. Sorry about that Joanne. And I had a moment last night when I turned on the washing machine and….nothing. I had already started to panic before finally it lit up and started. Phew. Crisis averted. But no, I didn’t lose my job, however one of my best friends did, and it felt like I went through the situation with her as I supported her through it. So sucky.

8. A. Jacoby says:

I WAIT WITH BAITED BREATH . . . . (it’s right here the I always comment the my breath won’t smell like the after I brush my teeth) for  day like that of which you speak when:

#1. – my 34-year-old washer/dryer combo decides to (shudder) give up the ghost.

#2. – my 10-year-old Mac decides it’s done being repaired . . . . again.

#3. – my 20-year-old roof decides that lace is a more fitting attribute than solidarity for a roof.

#4. – another tooth decided to follow it’s compatriots into permanent retirement.

#5. – my 6-year-old cell phone decides that it either won’t work at all or at least needs  new battery.

Yup . .  . I would bettcha the most of us out here carry around an ANTI-BUCKET LIST of specters that lear over our shoulders when we look in the mirror. All those “any minute now” nightmares that stalk us at night. But like that dame in “Follies” opined:

“Good times, and bum times, I’ve seen them all and my dear, I’M STILL HERE!!” So are you, so are we all. . .. can’t hardly beat that payoff!!!