Acceptance and Fear: Two Sides of the Same Coin

I’ve mostly kept my political statements to snarky or snotty comments for the last few months. While I feel strongly about the election, I don’t like to alienate or antagonize people I care about who voted differently.

Here’s the thing though, and I need to be heard on this…

My candidate lost. I accept that. She didn’t appeal to everyone and I get it. The other guy won. I accept that too (even though there is a cloud that hangs over his election that cannot be ignored or forgotten). My very first vote was for Michael Dukakis, so I know how to accept losing an election. Al Gore didn’t win in 2000 either, but I accepted that, with a few grumbles.

The Republicans won the White House and the Congress in 2016 and I hate it but it happened.  I know my feelings about it are irrelevant.Storm Coming

My fears and concerns aren’t about having a Republican president. They are about having THAT man as our president. Even if you support him, you don’t have a clue about what he’ll do any more than I do. He’s a loose cannon in every sense of the word, and we have woken up to surprises every day since the election. EVERY DAY.  Maybe you love how unpredictable he is, but I don’t.

I am 100% serious when I say I expect one morning to wake up to find my civil rights have been stripped from me. I expect to wake up and find a national park has been turned over to Halliburton. I expect to wake up and find out PBS or NPR is off the air because they have been defunded. I expect to see buses filled with non-whites headed south. I expect to hear Russia cackling with glee because they’ve got something really dirty to hold over our heads, making us beholden to them. I expect peaceful protest to be illegal. I expect women to be unable to control their own futures because they do not have safe access to proper healthcare. These things can easily happen and we all know it.  The groundwork is being laid today.

Fear Graffiti

I am afraid. Deeply, truly afraid. I don’t need to “get over” this election, nor do I need to accept that Hillary lost.  She lost, and it is a fact. What I do need is proof that terrible things won’t happen to me or the people I love and NO ONE can give me this. This is where my anger and protest come from, not because I’m a sore loser.

This is real to me.  What is also real to me is the belief that his supporters are in danger too, but they’re never going to agree to that.  It’s just my opinion.

But if you think I’m just hung up on losing an election, you’re dead wrong.

Matt Grigsby
Matt Grigsby was born and raised in Redding but has often felt he should have been born in Italy. By day he's a computer analyst toiling for the public good and by night he searches airline websites for great travel deals. His interests include books, movies, prowling thrift shops for treasure and tricking his friends into cooking for him. One day he hopes to complete his quest in finding the best gelato shop in Italy.

1. Randall R Smith says:

The cure for fear is faith.  If the republic is really so fragile that one man can break it, then trouble is here and always has been.  What seems impossible to me is the faith people had in No. 44 who really had never done anything with his life except hold public office.  Somehow that was reassuring and everyone was happy.  He surrounded himself with like people and the party continued.  The worst economic recovery in our history was hailed as an achievement.  The middle class is hurting and everyone is happy.  The greatest dollar rise in national debt occurred and its Okay.  Enemy nations took real estate and the band played on.

Now we have someone who won an election and many are marching in protest from fear of what they perceive is not just possible but inevitable.  The country needs a strong dose of the well known but now lost “do not distress yourself with imaginings.”  When did government become so overpowering in the life of an individual of this nation that each could only  be fulfilled by its activity?   Happiness can’t be a government decree.  If No. 45 turns out to be another Hitler or Stalin or seriously deranged leader, the fix is already in the mix. Nixon was impeached for lying and Clinton messed with an employee on government time and soil, lied about it and everyone thought it was a private matter.  Let’s just concentrate on what we know and strive to be happy while we wait this unfolding adventure.  Chances are the sun will come up tomorrow despite all the worry and fear.

• Beverly Stafford says:

Reassuring words and outlook.

• Alexa says:

Give me a break, what twoddle … the man is a spoiled, nasty, utterly classless brat with completely distorted ideas derived mostly from pure ignorance of the knowledge need for that office, who now runs our country only because his was a face recognised from tv by the masses.  Now we are to have it on endlessly, in itself a daunting thought even with all the other significance of this particular presidency. What an awful example to hold up for your children, thankfully I don’t have any.  Would have a lot of explaining to do if I had.  So, I hope I just politely disagreed with you in the nicest way possible given the subject matter.

• Matt Grigsby says:

I think the cure for fear is action, not faith.  While I have always imagined the presidency to be larger than any single individual, it is the advisors and counselors he has surrounded himself with that scare me.  Bankers, oil tycoons, billionaires, many of whom have already led fights against the very institutions they are nominated to run.

This isn’t imagined, this is fact.  I don’t think we need to play “wait and see” with this man because we have already seen and heard, from his own lips, the very things he plans to do.  Ignoring or dismissing his own words is dangerous.

• K. Beck says:

The Clintons (both) and B. Obama (don’t know about Michelle) are “New Democrats.”  The Clintons were both members of the now defunct DLC. That group has morphed into “The Third Wave.” The DLC & TTW are both right wing organizations. Do a Google search. That explains what happened in those 16 years. It explains how we are where we are now. 16 years of ignoring the Dem base; many of them losing jobs; 9 M being thrown out of their homes; poverty rates UP. Who is looking out for the 90%? No one. There were no Dems in that last race. Neither were there any in 1992, 1996 (well, maybe Nader?), 2000 (Gore was DLC as well, although I think he should have protested the election, what a sham that one was; Nader, again). 2004, don’t know about Kerry, it is hard to knock out a sitting President, even W! Especially after 9-11; 2008 & 2012 Obama. In essence, Republican Presidents since 1980!

The cure for fear is to do something to change the situation that is making you fearful!

2. Hollyn Chase says:

Thank you Matt for articulating how many of us feel. Like you, I have voted for many losers: my first vote was for McGovern, and because all the young people I knew in SF were also voting for him, I was shocked when he lost. By a landslide. I voted for Ford when he lost to Carter, Perot when he lost to Clinton, and don’t get me started about local elections.   But this election is different. We have elected someone who, at the least, has a severe personality disorder. And he has henchmen.  If he is impeached, we’ve still got problems. You’re worried about PBS and NPR? I’m worried about Planned Parenthood. I do agree with Randy that you and I will probably be okay. You’re a white guy and I’m old. But there are vulnerable segments of our society that have very real reasons to be afraid. And it’s very hard for me to be sanguine about that.

• Matthew Grigsby says:

I may be a white guy, but I’m not a straight white guy, which is why I fear for my civil rights.

I’m worried about Planned Parenthood too. So many people have so much to lose, and it feels like everything is on the table at this point.

3. Shannon says:

Another well-written article!

4. Frank Treadway says:

The Women’s Marches around the planet was a great cathartic necessity and has given notice to individuals like DT and the new leader of the Phillippines, who I put in the same inhuman league, that grassroots local folks will not let the boys and girls in DC rule our lives. We are the local force that can make it happen. There’s a whole bunch of unsettled folk out there in Shasta County Land thanks to this election.  And they’re ready to move in whatever direction it will take to keep sanity in our society. We just won’t let the Tea Party, the State of Jefferson-ites and the angry white males run us out of town.  I’ve lived through beatings of gay persons on the streets of Redding, the burning of the Abortion Clinic and the burning of crosses on lawns right here in Shasta County. And somehow we overcome this tearing away at our personal lives and survive.  Call LaMalfa on a daily basis…Lead On !

• Matt Grigsby says:

I was greatly heartened by the many marches around the world, and I too saw them as a cathartic necessity.  The Tea Party folks and Jefferson-ites shout and fuss and shake their fists and yet they are no closer to their goals than when they started.  This gives me hope too.

5. I worried when Reagan was elected. I worried when George W. was elected. Everything I worried about did not come to pass. In the ensuing years, I have developed faith in our country and our citizens.

The talking heads of mainstream media predicted an easy win for Clinton prior to the election  – now they are selling the public dire predictions of doom and gloom. I’m not buying it.

• Kathleen says:

Reagan gutted mental health and it’s never been repaired. Redding’s one of the communities that has taken the brunt of this decision. George Bush got us in to 2 wars  that has taken so many of our promising young people both as casualties of war physically and mentally.  The middle east is horribly unstable causing the out cropping of multiple  terrorist groups.  We feel these  decisions our presidents made everyday either in the US or around the world. Who our leader is matters!

• Matt Grigsby says:

In theory, I agree with you.  But the mere election of that man once seemed preposterous, even to himself, and yet here we are.

Terrible, strange things can happen and I no longer feel we are insulated from danger by the best intentions of our citizens.

6. Kathleen says:

Thank you Matt for articulating how so many of us feel around the world. People keep saying, give him a chance . He’s been a victim of fake news that you’re responding to.  BALONEY! I’m taking him at his word. I’m responding to his constant hateful tweets, speeches and his past statements before he ran. If someone tells you who they are , believe them. He is terrifying and it’s shocking his supporters can’t see he has no allegiance to them which has been demonstrated by his choices for his cabinet.

• Matt Grigsby says:

This is exactly it.  His words are what led me to this fear, not some misplaced anger about losing an election.

7. cheyenne says:

Here in Wyoming, where many LGBT out of the area always point out Mathew Shepard while somehow ignoring the deaths of gay people elsewhere including the next year in Redding, what this election has brought to Wyoming is an awakening of gay people here in Wyoming.  I had no idea of the many gay legislators we have here, it is no longer in the closet and I think that could be attributed to the few extreme right wingers we have here, sorry Trump the awakening had already happened here.

If Wyoming is a bell weather for states taking over federal land like National parks that issue was shelved last week as the one state legislator who was promoting it found he didn’t have the support he did.  The sportsman in Wyoming let the legislators know they were wrong in attempting that scenario.  The sportsman in other states and the nation are making it plain that they don’t want federal public land turned over to the states.  What they want is for the feds to raise leases on grazing.  Right now they said the feds charge ranchers about $6 a cow to graze on public land while that same cow would cost $16 on private land.  That information was in the WTE.

Many of these rights that people are afraid of losing under Trump won’t happen because, despite what some say, the states control those issues.  If the EPA is dismantled, which won’t happen, there will not be a complete start up of coal plants being built.  If Roe/Wade is overturned, which won’t happen, the states already control abortion.  Obamacare will not be dismantled because too many Republicans want to keep it but, and 40% of Democrats(also in the WTE) want it improved.  Women’s equality needs to be handled on the state level, every time the feds get involved , either party, they have no clue about local issues.

While many say the sky is falling because of President Trump I see America waking up to reality and deciding this political gridlock needs to end.

• Virginia says:

Remember “Chicken Little” who always screamed the sky i s falling.  Surprise:  It didn’t!

• Matt Grigsby says:

You say that civil rights, the EPA and Roe v Wade aren’t in danger because the states control those issues but that’s the problem.  Women in Alabama aren’t going to have the same access to proper women’s health care as the women in California.  Gay people who want to get married in Utah won’t have the same right as people who live in New York.  It’s the federal rulings that give the SAME rights to EVERYONE that makes it fair.

I have a deep hope that perhaps Trump will indeed provide the catalyst for our nation to fix the many problems we’ve been ignoring for too long.  We might find it was all worth it in the end.  I hope.

• Rod says:

Come on Matt, you know better than to toss this one into the ring.  “It’s the feds that give the same rights to everyone that makes it fair”.

My reasoning is from my experience with advocating for marijuana normalization.  Every day hundreds of fellow Americans get ground into dust.  Our constitution which is under constant assault from the feds, is incredible in it’s protections.  Civil rights needn’t fear “that man”.  He’s our new hired servant, he’s moving in your direction same as mine.

You choosing to live in deep fear is making you susceptible to self doubts.  You have no reason to fear DJT.

• Matt Grigsby says:

I don’t for one second think Trump is moving in any direction but his own, which means I have every reason to fear him.

My fears are founded in my observations, the same as your fears, whatever they are.  I didn’t dream up his words, I heard them.  Everything I need to know about him is out there, with a bright spotlight on them that he demanded be built.

• cheyenne says:

Women in Alabama don’t have the same healthcare as women in California.  Nobody in Alabama has the same access to healthcare as those in California.  This all comes back to state funding.

And in Utah, according to an article in the WTE, there will always be someone available to marry gay people.  If the person who marries gay people is not available nobody will be married.  In Pinedale, Wyoming, not exactly a hotbed for gays, a judge was asked, by a reporter out to stir up trouble, if she would marry a gay couple.  She responded that she wouldn’t but she would find somebody who would marry them.  The reporter only wrote that she would not marry a gay couple but omitted the rest of her comment about having someone else marry the couple.

Things can only get better is my light at the end of the tunnel.  Or is it Governor Brown’s high speed train?

8. A. Jacoby says:

I loved the Jon Stewart interview with Charlie Rose. (do look it up on YouTube) He spoke to history and resiliency which certainly buoyed my faith in the American people. The marches built on that encouragement. But I’d like to replace fear with faith, bolstered by caution. I choose to believe that being vigilant and vocal will result in victory . . .. whatever dress she wears!

9. Deb says:

Trump says:  Something! Bigly!

A short time goes by…

Trump says:  Other thing! Opposite thing!

People point out:  But you said Something, earlier.

Trump says:  I never said that!   Ever!  It’s lies!

While I know that most if not all politicians make their campaign promises and then fail to fulfill most of them, Trump seems to excel at saying one thing, then insisting he never said it at all, even when there is video footage of him saying it.  I feel as though you could sit him in front of a screen and SHOW HIM what he said, bigger’n life in Technicolor and Dolby Surround Sound and he would cross his arms and say, “Nuh-uh.  Never said that.”

It is this childish determination to say whatever he wants to say even when he contradicts himself that makes me see who he is, but it also tells me something about his supporters.  We all know that fake news exists and the internet is quick to take a story and put their slant-of-choice on it, meaning that sometimes it’s hard to know which “news” is the real news.  But when words come right  from the man’s mouth, and then completely contradictory words come from that same mouth, I just have to wonder how his supporters can continue to justify it.

There are loads of other things that trouble me about him, and the above is only one of them.  But it’s one of the things that continually has me scratching my head in disbelief.  This is not a case of people incorrectly quoting him, or taking things out of context, or spouting hearsay.  HE says things and then HE says the opposite things.  And somehow this is okay with people.   Well, some of them.

I just don’t get it.

There is a big leaning towards “the right” in various parts of the world (my current home country included), and it is very worrying.  We went through similar in the latest UK elections, and have a government which wants to destroy the National Health Service while also reducing the rights of the most vulnerable in society.  That is a theme song being taken up by far too many other countries’ leaders.  And because these leaders are elected (sometimes by majority, sometimes not), it seems as though that theme song is being taken up by the people themselves.  And that, perhaps, is what makes me despair most of all.

• Matt Grigsby says:

His contradictory statements have been bothering me too.  The precious few things he has said that didn’t make me cringe or want to crawl out of my skin were immediately followed by some new thing he said that is the exact opposite.  Even his supporters don’t know what he thinks about anything, not really.  His opinions are quicksand and only the foolish would stand on them thinking they are solid ground.

• Valerie Ing says:

That is exactly what bothers me the most too, Deb. Even more than making contradictory statements is the FACT that when shown video or audio proof of his statements, instead of owning up to it, he’ll say that the media is lying, when all they’re doing is recording it and playing it back for him. And then of course there’s the issue of the population that acts like parents of a child who’s misbehaving at school who are in denial. Instead of realizing that their child has behavior issues and taking steps to correct it, they point the fingers at everyone and everything else, which just perpetuates the problem child.

• Steve Towers Steve Towers says:

It really isn’t going to matter much at all what Trump says if he turns out to be a puppet of the Republican machine, which is looking more and more likely.  He’ll continue to be an erratic, undisciplined communicator because he has an erratic, undisciplined mind—but ultimately he’ll  be looking for the easiest way to govern, and that will entail having handlers tell him what to do all day long.

I’ll be proved wrong if Trump does something that shocks the GOP to its bone marrow, but I put the probability of that happening at 0.0001.

10. Tom O'Mara says:

I would just say that we all have a great many civil rights enumerated in law and Constitution, and we may have to go to court to enforce them. While Trump as an individual has a long history of not paying sub-contractors (“You can’t afford to sue me.”), I don’t believe blatant disregard of our civil rights will go unchallenged. Having former CA Attorney General Kamala Harris as our new Senator is just one point of strength. I think there is a real difference between shooting one’s mouth off on the campaign trail and taking real actions subject to scrutiny by congressional committees and investigative journalists, and I notice how many of the Cabinet nominees are backtracking on their own and Administration statements on climate change, for one. So while I think all of your concerns are well-placed, Matt, I think our solution is in increased vigilance and willingness to step into the streets. Obviously, many millions are willing to do just that.

• Matt Grigsby says:

I would love to eat my words in six months, or a year.  I would love to be so wrong about all of this, but way deep down I worry that I’m not.  My gut instinct is warning me that danger approaches, and I 100% agree with you that vigilance and willingness to stand up and protest is the only way we’ll be saved.

11. Tom O'Mara says:

I might also add that I am a Volunteer Civil Rights Advocate for the Redding Police Department, with the express goal of increasing reporting of that crimes and hate incidents.

12. Tom O'Mara says:

Correction: that would be “hate crimes and hate incidents.”

13. Cindy says:

Aw…..common, it isn’t a lie, it’s an “alternative truth”.

National Parks already got their tweeting rights taken away because they DARED post a picture of Obama’s inauguration with the mall full of people, next to #trumperdink’s with the mall 1/3-1/2 full.

I, too, am scared.  I have a 9 yr old son and 3 yr old grandson and am appalled that he is the moral bar of POTUS they have to look up to at the moment!!

As Matt said, it isn’t the politics, it is the PERSON (sorry, he is not a “man” in my definition of the word).

14. cody says:

If the political parties keep running the same old type of candidates, that represent the status quo, and the same old entrenched government system – the populist parties will gain support.  It happened here, and is happening in Europe as Le Pen gains ground in France, Wilders in Netherlands, AfD in Germany, etc.  People are tired of the same old nonsense, and as a result wind up with an undesirable leader.

15. Cynthia says:

cynthia From Goodreads and Facebook and live journal here. Love this, SuperMatt!?

16. Steve Towers Steve Towers says:

In my darker hours I worry about the impulse of fascism in Trump and his followers—just this morning a FB friend of an actual friend was going on about having Obama arrested and shot as a traitor.  Alternatively, he suggested, putting Obama’s head on a spike had historical precedent.  There are, among Trump’s followers, many who pine for absolute, permanent, one-party rule under the banner of the White Christian Identity Movement.

Trump’s inaugural address did little to assuage dark fears about what he has planned—at one moment I wondered out loud, “Jesus God—is he reading from a Cormac McCarthy novel?”

On the other hand, Trump is staffing his administration with functionaries of the ruling Washington D.C./Wall Street plutocracy, which lends me to believe that he’s going to leave the status quo intact.  I hope that’s not entirely the case—I think it’s actually a negative if there are no outrages to galvanize the opposition  Progressives need actions to energize their reactions—hard fouls ready-made to trigger a backlash.

The first test will be what Trump does with the ACA.  He says he’ll replace it with something better, but every permutation that the GOP has floated so far makes no financial sense—the math simply doesn’t work.  What works—sans leaving Obamacare largely intact and rebranding it “Trumpcare”—is throwing tens of millions of people off of their insurance plans and dropping the mandate, putting millions of other people on de facto insurance-premium-moocher status (i.e., we all pay higher premiums for the uninsured who go to the emergency room).

:::pops a bag of popcorn in the microwave:::

• Matthew Grigsby says:

You bring up some interesting points.  I have thought about the same thing about Trump’s nominees; some of them are so firmly in the establishment that they have everything to lose if things go wrong.  However, what do they stand to gain?  As businessmen, they have built their lives on profit and power.  I refuse to think they suddenly have a noble desire for public service.

Your comment that Progressives need actions to energize their reactions?  I wish that wasn’t at least partly true.  Progressives do their best work when they’re really mad.

• Steve Towers Steve Towers says:

I didn’t mean to imply that maintaining the status quo is a good thing—it means more of the Washington DC establishment doing the bidding of the ruling plutocracy.  I have zero doubt that the current administration is moving in the direction of protecting the interests of the rich and powerful—to them, that is the noble cause.  Hell, it’s the very foundation of Trump’s so-called “Prosperity Gospel” religion.  The trend of transferring income and wealth from the middle class to the uber-wealthy will continue.

17. Grammy says:

Now to come up with a viable candidate we can all get behind in four years.  Forget the 70+ year olds.  An example-we are all scared of what will happen if Pence ever get to be President even more than Trump.

If as women, we want a woman president then we have to get behind one that represent us.  Not one that pushes the women to vote to someone like Trump (the majority of women voted for “him”).  We all would like to have Ms. Obama to run but will she?

Trump is our president, period!  The House and Senate are Republican, period!  Will truly be interesting to see how screwed up the country gets or not.

What worries me the most is that a woman’s uterus is possibly not going to be hers to choose what SHE wants to do.   Planned Parenthood is an important part of our process of dealing with that choice.  Are the Republicans ready to deal with the many many unwanted children that will result from its’ demise?

• Beverly Stafford says:

If the R’s won’t stay out of women’s wombs, they they should line up at every delivery room and take babies who are unwanted for whatever reason and raise them.  I lauded Jim Stockdale during the VP debates of yore when he was asked about abortion.  His comment was, “It’s the woman’s decision.  Period.”

I stopped donating to the Susan Komen organization when they pulled funding from Planned Parenthood.  They did some backpedaling, but like so many charities that are caught with their hands in the cookie jar or doing some other dumb thing, it was too little too late.  Very like Wells Fargo in that respect.

• K. Beck says:

Jim Stockdale was an amazing man! I was able to sit in on a class he taught at Stanford U. I felt so badly about how he was treated during that Presidential election. So disrespectful.

• K. Beck says:

The one and only truth is this: MOCs want to be re-elected. If they are inundated with letters from their constituents telling them we don’t like what they plan to do, they will listen. This has worked once already.  Writing posts here & on Facebook, etc. will produce pretty much nothing. You need to take action now. Individual letters. That is our only hope. AND that is what democracy is all about. Voting and then ignoring what the people we elected do, gets us just what we got.

• Matthew Grigsby says:

Having a public conversation here or on FB doesn’t mean results won’t happen.  Indeed, it’s the conversation that gives me new lines of thought or perspective, or convinces me that perhaps I wrong.  The conversations have to start somewhere, I appreciate ANC providing a venue for that.

I completely agree that taking action, calling legislators and writing letters, participating in protests, is how change will come.  My point was simply that I’m upset about the election not because my candidate lost, but because of the type of man who won.

• Don Cohen says:

I hate to give up my comfortable position of fly on the wall, but a majority of white women voted for trump.

18. K. Beck says:

Just found this in my inbox: 5 ways to hold on to optimism — and reap health benefits http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/hold-optimism-reap-health-benefits-2017012011003

Not a minute too soon!

Take action! That will keep you occupied!

19. Cheryl McMillan says:

What privileges or entitlements has anyone lost since President Trump took office? Someone, anyone please enlighten us.  Some glasses are half full, some half full and some are completely empty!

20. Cheryl says:

You hit it right on the head! This is exactly how I feel, except I will never accept him as my president. I’m worried we won’t have anything left by the time he gets out of office. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

21. John says:

You have expressed the fear and concerns many of us not-straight white males share about the potential loss of our civil liberties.  Thank you for putting into words what many of us have been feeling.

22. Keith says:

Wow, that’s a whole lot of articulation up there.  I can’t even see that league I’m so far out of it.

Just one question then:  If everything has been so damn good with the former administration and all the folks who press for PC-ness etc.,  how the heck did they let it slide so far down the scale that our country would elect such a troop of rich white men who won’t be concerned for America but will put their “Boot” on us people?!!  Somthings “off”.

• K. Beck says:

I think people “thought” it was “so damn good” but, in reality, it was not. We have been slipping down hill for a long time now. See my post way at the top. It ended up under the “john  January 23, 2017 at 12:57 pm” post, but was meant to appear after this post: Randall R Smith  January 23, 2017 at 5:02 am.

23. Justin says:

Funny you say this “I am 100% serious when I say I expect one morning to wake up to find my civil rights have been stripped from me.” because this is exactly what I thought would happen should the other candidate won.  It seemed like a guarantee from her, an unknown from him.

24. Justin says:

I can think of 10 to start.  I didn’t see any listed in your article that you feel are threatened…

I will try to keep it brief, so do not take this literally.  Ultimately I believe in individual human rights and that they belong to the individual.  I believe that Hillary view is contrary and that she essentially believes our “rights” are licensed by the government and subject to the whim of whomever is in the ruling class at any given time.

25. R.V. Scheide Jr. says:

One of the main reasons I voted for Trump was he said he as gonna tear up the TPP and renegotiate NAFTA and sure enough on the very first real day of work, he did just that. He ain’t no Republican as I’ve always said.

Instead of worrying, why not be honest what all the concern is really about, the Supreme Court justice pick? Better start throwing some names in the ring now, so a populist president can respond to whatever the real majority on gay marriage and abortion is. Are you sure you want to find out? Is that that what we’re afraid of here? The majority might give the wrong answer? Who the pick is will be vital for Trump’s success.

If you’re scared of the Russians, then you have “alternative facts” than I do. Don’t worry. It’s time to play “America’s Top Jurist.” I have no idea who it might be.

• Steve Towers Steve Towers says:

Trump abandoned the TTP, but he did not renegotiate NAFTA on his first day. We’ll have to wait a bit longer see where that goes.  Supposedly, that’s when he gets Mexico to pay for the wall. :::snorts:::

The election told us that in spite of being an historically unlikable presidential candidate, Clinton (not Trump) received a plurality of the votes. But Trump and his followers are so willfully delusional about that fact that it weighs essentially zero—they somehow think his election proves they’re the majority.  The day after the election, Trump said he won by a landslide.  His ego is unable to process reality.

Trump is not going to surprise us and pick a centrist SCOTUS nominee—he’s done virtually nothing thus far to indicate that he’s going to walk the populist middle road.  With his cabinet appointments—the most substantive thing he’s done so far—he’s acting like a sock puppet of the ruling Washington DC/Wall Street plutocracy at best, and someone who wants to turn this country into Americanistan at worst.

How is it possible to not to worry about the Russians? Russia has many interests that are counter to ours.  An increasingly aggressive Russia—making incursions into eastern Europe—could come into direct conflict with NATO…and then what? Russia is led by Vladimir Putin, a tyrant who murders and imprisons political opponents, and has strangled Russia’s free media.  Our intelligence community agrees that Putin intervened in our election in an attempt to tilt the election to Trump.  (That you were not briefed on the classified evidence supporting that conclusion does not of itself invalidate the conclusion.)  That doesn’t mean that I think it’s impossible for the CIA, FBI, NSA and DHS to all be wrong—they might be wrong—but I think it’s telling that the Republican congressional committee members who were briefed on the evidence are alarmed and following up.

By the way, there are no such thing as “alternative facts.”  The alternative of “facts” is “fictions.”  The Trump team’s Orwellian attempt to convince us otherwise is undermining what little credibility they have as they start his first term.  Unfortunately, it appears that Kellyanne Conway and Trump are such intellectual lightweights that they don’t understand that the term “alternative facts” is political satire.

• Rod says:

I would like to see your supporting links for this …”Our intelligence community agrees that Putin intervened in our election in an attempt to tilt the election to DJT.”  Your feeble disclaimer is sadly lacking.

• Steve Towers Steve Towers says:

Google “CIA Russian interference” and follow any one of the first ten articles, including the only one you’re likely to trust (Fox News).  The CIA found that Russia not only interfered with the election (an earlier finding), but that Russia did it in a way to systematically favor Trump (their later conclusion).

Trump’s reaction, famously, was to throw the CIA and FBI under the bus by calling their analysis and findings “ridiculous,” saying he doesn’t believe them.  He gave no reason for his dismissal, other than he just doesn’t like it.

Your lack of awareness is mildly amusing, but also illustrative of the willful ignorance that allows so many Trump followers to maintain a constant state of reality denial, which isn’t amusing at all.

• Rod says:

That’s what I thought…….you have nothing.

Everything you think you know on this topic is speculation.  Darn.

• Steve Towers Steve Towers says:

That’s right, Rod.  I have nothing except the widely reported CIA and FBI agreement on the matter, and the widely reported statements by Congress assuring us that they will take those findings seriously.  But I cannot independently confirm that the Russians hacked the election with the intention of favoring Trump.  Nor can I independently confirm the latest estimates that the observable universe contains between 1 trillion and 2 trillion galaxies.  Nor can I independently confirm at the moment that you are not made out of Silly Putty.

But neither of those true shortcomings mean that I’m engaged in pure speculation.  We have this construct that certain Stooges of Dumbassery apparently don’t share with most of us—it’s called “consensus reality.”  Because of consensus reality, I can be reasonably sure that you’re not made out of Silly Putty.

Personally, I prefer that consensus reality be built on verifiable facts, but I understand why intelligence agencies have to withhold sources and information.  So I have to ask myself the question: Why would the intelligence agencies lie about their findings? I’m not Trump, so “everyone is out to get me” isn’t on the menu of valid answers.

• Steve Towers Steve Towers says:

I didn’t say that there were no facts to examine, Rodney.  It’s a fact that the CIA, FBI, and other intelligence agencies investigated the allegations of Russian interference in the election.  It’s a fact that they concluded that Russia not only interfered, but did so in an attempt to aid Trump. It’s a fact that they reported these findings to the POTUS and to Congress. And it’s a fact that both Congress and the POTUS found the analyses credible and requested follow-up investigations.  Those facts are easy to verify—you clearly choose not to, but that does not refute them.

What I can’t independently verify, obviously, is the level of veracity of the CIA and FBI findings.  I don’t have the investigators, the spy network, nor the time.

As for tone: You started this with “Your feeble disclaimer is sadly lacking.”  You poke me in the nose, pal, and you get poked back.

26. Richard DuPertuis says:

I, too, was startled by Trump’s pattern of saying something and then days later not only denying he said it, but feigning indignanace for being accused of ever saying such a thing. He would blame it on shoddy reporting as video clips of him saying it played on Facebook.

Such disconnect! I didn’t know if he was lying or if he truly could not remember.

Then I recalled a book I read a long time ago. In it, a purpose for blatantly lying was explained. It went something like, when a man can stand in public and knowingly lie, knowing his audience knows he’s lying, and knowing no one will call the lie to his face, that’s when he knows he’s attained real political power.

I would imagine the ascent to this position would be marked by challenges he met, and perhaps by the responses to his challengers he made them less and less likely to publicly counter him again. Until no one dared.

Right now, we are watching reporters castigated for accurately writing down what Trump says, and for asking him about apparent changes in his positions. So far, they have ignored his threats of reprisal.

Let us hope they continue to do so.

• Justin says:

Richard.  The same is also true of HRC.  Only I suspect that she follows the pattern of a lie told repeatedly unchallenged becomes the truth.  Few people want to see both candidates without some sort of heavy bias.  The reality is that its essentially a roulette game.

• K. Beck says:

Hey Richard…

Haven’t seen any articles written by you lately. Did you retire?…hope not!

27. Alexa says:

That ‘person’ is a curse and apparently will remain so.  Doesn’t care what impact he has.  Now a pristine beach in western Ireland is in jeopardy from one of his ‘walls’ being proposed to protect one of his numerous golf courses.   Wonder if he would deny this one.  Sure loves his walls …. trying to wall us all in.

Just in case anyone is interested …  I don’t usually sign petitions but surely will this one.

Here is the beach in danger of being changed forever or indeed, being wiped out.

28. Denise O says:

It’s fascinating that he is now president. For me, the fact that he breezed through the primaries was the first tip off this was going sideways.  It is truly the death and possible Rosemary’s Baby rebirth of the Republican Party. Needless to say, the Dems didn’t fare so well either.  Both sides have some navel-gazing to do.

Let us not forget HALF of the population who could have did not even vote. So there’s the ace in the hole in righting this ship. I’m counting on the fact that all of us are waking up in varying ways as each issue hits home.

In Shasta County alone, a very large percentage do not claim a party affiliation. I know LaMalfa’s record in voting just about anything anti-woman was a wake up call for me. Please go check in out, search for “women” on his website.

Meanwhile, my plan is to stop bashing and take it to action steps. This won’t be my first time, and far from the last to protest the government.

I do hope for a look-see into the Russian thing.  I mean, seriously, we investigated a president’s romp.  If there’s nothing to it, GOOD.  But the questions should be investigated.