Redding residents are urged to use caution as another wave of wind and rain is forecast to hit the Redding area late today (Monday, January 9) followed by extremely strong winds Tuesday afternoon and evening.
The National Weather Service (NWS) has issued a “high wind warning” for Tuesday afternoon through Tuesday evening, forecasting winds from the south of 30 to 40 miles per hour and gusts as high as 60 miles per hour.
High winds and soggy ground can cause trees and/or branches to fall, possibly breaking power lines and disrupting electricity service. The Redding Fire Department warns residents to stay clear of any fallen power lines, as well as fences, trees or other objects that could be touching the lines and transmit dangerous current. To report downed lines, call Redding Electric Utility at 245-7000.
Although the City of Redding experienced high winds Sunday afternoon and evening, fewer than 100 customers were without power. The Redding Electric Utility attributes an aggressive tree-trimming program to helping keep such outages to a minimum.
Should power go out, the Redding Fire Department also urges residents to ensure space heaters have adequate clearance of at least 36 inches from combustibles and to not use barbecues, generators or unapproved kerosene heaters inside the home. Paper products should not be burned in a fireplace or wood stove and if power goes out, use lanterns or flashlights instead of candles. Homeowners are also urged to make sure smoke alarm batteries are fresh.
Residents who see City storm-drain openings that are clogged with leaves or debris can call the City Storm Drain Utility at 224-6068 at any hour.
Here are other safety tips to follow during the upcoming storm:
- Use portable generators outside – never inside a house or garage. They can produce dangerous carbon monoxide fumes, which are odorless and invisible.
- Never connect a generator to household circuitry. Doing so can endanger utility crews who might work on nearby lines.
- Avoid using barbecues or similar stoves indoors. Only portable heaters designed for in-house use should be used inside a house. Such appliances will be labeled for indoor use.
- Power outages can cause traffic signals to go out. Motorists should treat any intersection without signal lights as a four-way stop.