Mistress of the Mix: Stocking Stuffer

xmas-tag-2

My mantra this week is this: Peace. Love. Joy. Harmony. It’s more than my mantra, it’s my wish for you this holiday season. And myself too. Let’s all of us, everyone, have a holiday full of peace, love, joy and harmony, shall we? As I spend the holidays with my family, all together under one roof celebrating Christmas our way – which, in case you were wondering, consists of food, champagne, everyone giving my father their undivided attention (which is the only Christmas present he really wants and never seems to really get), Scrabble, gifts, family debates, more food, more champagne, Cribbage, movies, Boggle, another glass of champagne, a little bit more food and a long nap – I hope you find peace, love, joy and harmony celebrating in whatever way you celebrate or relax with your loved ones.

To help you enjoy your holiday a little bit more, here’s a specially crafted playlist with the most palatable Chistmassy, Wintery Holiday music I could find. Think of it as a sweet little stocking stuffer from the Mistress of the Mix.

Valerie Ing
Valerie Ing-Miller has been the Northern California Program Coordinator for Jefferson Public Radio in Redding for 14 years and can often be found serving as Mistress of Ceremonies at the Cascade Theatre. For her, ultimate satisfaction comes from a perfect segue. She and her husband are parents to a couple of college students and a pair of West Highland Terriers, and Valerie can’t imagine life without them or music. The Mistress of the Mix wakes up every day with a song in her head, she sings in the shower and at the top of her lungs in the car.

1. Beverly Stafford says:

Thanks for the holiday wish, Mistress, and right back at’cha.  Can I come a play cribbage with you?  I haven’t played since my precious Mother died some years ago.

2. Steve Towers Steve Towers says:

Your Christmases sound great, Val.  All except for the Scrabble—I don’t much care for Scrabble.  My wife crushes me every time—the margins of her wins are embarrassing.  (She usually trounces me at Cribbage, too.)

• Beverly Stafford says:

Perhaps Elise can play Cribbage with the Mistress, and I can muddle along with you.

• Valerie Ing says:

Thank you both for inspiring a Cribbage knockdown challenge between my husband and I. He’s good (and certainly talks his fair share of smack regarding his crib prowess), but I beat him more often than he beats me! He attributes that to the fact that the cribbage board he woodcrafted for me has my name written all over it…literally. Wish I could post a photo! 🙂

3. A. Jacoby says:

Well, any playlist that contains that many Pentatonix  cuts as well as Nancy Wilson and a nod to June Christy and Julie London, can’t be bad; however, you did miss my very favorite Pentatonix trac: Hark the Herald, and I would have loved to hear My Grown up Christmas List (for my money, the best thing David Foster has written to date).

A great list for wrapping presents!! thank you . . . .

Oh, and ll good wishes of the season and for the coming year.

• Richard Christoph says:

A. Jacoby,

I’d never heard of Pentatonix until they popped up several times in the last few days ago on my Pandora Holiday channel. Liked their music so much I ordered “That’s Christmas To Me” for my sweetie and it arrived in today’s mail. Good stuff…

Merry Christmas to All

4. cheyenne says:

By The Time I Get To Phoenix is my Christmas song because Phoenix is where my four granddaughters are.

5. Beverly Stafford says:

We giggle right out loud each time we hear the parody of Felice Navidad:  The Police Took My Car.

6. AJ says:

Val, I happened to have been watching THE SING OFF the season they won. Knocked my Sox off! !! Caught their concert in Sacramento in October.  They STILL knock my sox off….oh….maybe I wasn’t wearing any.  LOL! !

7. karen bennett says:

Candy cane farming update 😉

Hi Val ~ The number of Candy Cane farmers is growing exponentially here in Bend!  I’m sending some pics to your yahoo address.  Your magic continues?  Wishing you glorious holidays ~ Karen

8. karen bennett says: